Friday, November 6, 2009

A Reason to Be Grateful

November is the month when our thoughts tend to turn towards those things for which we are truly grateful. Must have something to do with Thanksgiving or something. I've been thinking about some of those things lately, and something I am particularly grateful for are good-looking British men. Really. I am truly, truly grateful for them.

Some of you may not feel the same way as me, and that's okay. Maybe you just haven't had the opportunity to get to know some of them like I have. Maybe your head just isn't screwed on straight. Whatever. I thought I would share some of my favorites with my faithful readers and explain why I am such a fan.

{I'll warn you - this post is a bit long, but there's not way I can be short-winded when it comes to these men. And I probably left off someone who you think is a must-have. And I do go on and on about how I love them, so if this is not your cup of tea, come back another time. But if you continue, be aware - you have been warned.}

Jonas Armstrong:
I first became acquainted with Jonas when I watched the BBC show "Robin Hood." Jonas plays the title role, and he plays it well. I adore his roguish charm and mischievous smile. And maybe only one or two of you will understand this, but I absolutely love the way he says 'Much.'

Joe Armstrong:
Joe is another player from "Robin Hood." He plays Alan A. Dale - a fellow who can be a good part of a team but generally looks out for himself. I may even like him better than Robin, but it's a hard call. He's not the save-the-day hero of the show, but he caught my eye early on, and now I just wish he'd be put in more fantastic shows for me to watch.

Colin Firth:
I don't see how any list of hot British men can be complete without Colin. I mean, hello, he's Colin Firth. And yes, yes, I think he is wonderful as Mr. Darcy (yowza), but I also like him as Mark Darcy and as the bumbling English writer in "Love Actually." We are lucky indeed to live in a world with Mr. Firth.
Clive Owen:
Clive Owen. I almost don't know where to start. He's not just a hot British guy, but a man. He has this incredible mix of intensity and gentleness about him. And as I've said before, he's just so great to look at.

David Beckham:
Becks holds a special place in my heart because he was probably the first British man I officially went gah-gah for. During my semester in London, my roommates and I had a Beckham Shrine up in our room, with all sorts of pictures from the local magazines. And I understand that part of his hotness comes from his oh-so-incredible body (YOW-za), but for me, one of the things that drives me crazy is how Becks rocks a suit. Seriously. He always has them well-tailored, he wears a variety, and he always looks so, sooo good.
(This picture isn't even the best one I could find, but most of them had his stick figure wife in the shot.)


Daniel Craig:
I know some people weren't too thrilled with the new blonde Bond, but I sure was. To be honest, I hadn't ever heard of him before he got the role, but I like getting more familar with him. He's another one with a burning intensity, but his is a bit more frightning. In fun way, of course.


Joseph Fiennes:
J'adore Joseph. And I think j'adore him more with facial hair to help scruff up that baby face of his. I also think he's a great actor who has done some interesting things. It may just be my mixed-up memory, but he seems to do a lot of period stuff, which is fine with me. But I'm loving him as the American FBI agent on the new show "Flash Forward." Current, period, whatever. Just give the man some camera time.
Matthew Macfadyen:
O.M.G. Now, we all know that part of the draw of a British man is that accent. It's like chocolate for our ears. And if there's anyone who not only has that delicious accent but the steamiest, dreamiest voice as well, it's Mr. Macfadyen. I will admit that I was not happy when the new "Pride & Prejudice" came out because I thought there could only be one Mr. Darcy. But I was wrong, and I'll admit it. And then I started watching "MI-5," and got to know him as Tom Quinn the spy, and well, I've just never been the same. Thank heavens.

Richard Armitage:
Don't start thinking that Matthew has the market cornered on dreamy voices. Because a good contender would have to be Richard Armitage. Wow. He is also part of the "Robin Hood" cast, and I love every second of his Sir Guy of Gisborne. But what made me realize he was a true British treasure was his turn as Mr. Thornton in "North & South." {Please don't make me explain that this is not the same (horrible) civil war drama with Patrick Swayze. No, no.} This is a mini-series based on the Elizabeth Gaskell novel about England during the industrial revolution. And if you do anything, watch the end, just for that kiss. Wow. That kiss. Yeah, um . . . what was I saying?

Rupert Penry-Jones:
I would never think that I could crush on a man named Rupert. But, boy oh boy, can I. Any man who can bring Captain Wentworth so perfectly to life is one to admire. Plus, he's another amazing spy from "MI-5" who dashes about saving the world and making us beg for a reason to have him save us. My friend's mom once described him as sex-on-legs. Yeah. That pretty much sums him up.

Toby Stephens:
What is it with the British and their odd names? But I guess I shouldn't say anything when they're as handsome and hot as Toby. Toby is true acting royalty - his mom is the Dame Maggie Smith. But he's done fairly well for himself. He's been a guest star on "Robin Hood" this season, and I couldn't be more grateful for that brillant casting. But. If you have not seen him as Mr. Rochester in the newest "Jane Eyre," then stop what you're doing right now and watch it. I'm not even kidding. This man knows his pillow talk. And then some. Me-ow.

And there you have it. Now mind you, I recognize that there are many nationalities of hot men {and, trust me, I'm working on getting to know as many of them as I can}, but there's something about a Brit.

And I know that I did not get every hot British man on my list, but that would be a ridiculously long list. But, were there any men that I should have mentioned that I did not? Any new fellas I should be made aware of? Any ideas on how I can get my mind off them now? Oye.

4 comments:

snickers said...

Yum, Toby Stephens!
Megs

Anne said...

During my stint in Ireland I loved not only David Beckham but also Michael Owen - http://blog.taragana.com/sports/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/michael-owen-pes-2008.jpg

Ang Ballard said...

My votes are for Daniel Craig and Matthew MacFayden but I'm going to need to research Rupert... Lovely post Marie ;0)!

Becky and Mike said...

I'm loving that you put Rupert Penry-Jones on there...I think I may just like Persuasion more than P&P, just because of his role as Wentworth. And that's saying something. Wish there was a jump in the pond scene, ala Colin Firth, in Persuasion.